Friday, November 12, 2010

One thing remains the same

Today was my last day as a full time nanny for Katarina. 

It has been two incredible years since I first met this girl that has turned my world inside out.

This thing I called my job- and most people called it babysitting- was not really a job at all.

I got paid to dance, play hide and go seek, tickle the baby and make smiley pancakes.

I got paid to learn to love- be patient, never yell, laugh at messes and celebrate potty time.

I got paid to be a substitute mom- to live someone else's life. This was not a babysitting gig- it was a life changing journey. 

I know all the mom's out there are wishing they got paid for running their household or maybe even more so wishing they had the leisure to give the kid back after 5:30 every day when you're wiped.

But no matter how hard it gets or how many times you clean the same mess up twice- there is something about a baby that makes it all worth it.

I believe babies have the power to awaken the eternity that is hidden in the heart of man. To bring them to their knees by the power of love- to glorify something greater than themselves.

God used this little munchkin to teach me one thing: love. 

I learned that love is patient when frustration sounds so much more fulfilling. I learned that love is sometimes quiet in words and loud in obedience. Love is multi dimensional. Love requires multiple perspective. I learned that love does not cheat- it is not unfaithful and it is not idle or timid. Love does not lie. Love proves itself with immediate action. Love speaks. Love does not betray. I learned that marriage is nothing without love. Love does not sleep on the couch. Love does not move out. Love does not separate. Love does not divorce. Love cannot exist where unforgiveness resides. Love wakes up early. Love stays up late. Love makes smiley pancakes even for lunch.

Everything else may pass away- but one thing remains the same- love.

When I was 14 I cared for a 6 month old baby girl at a local orphanage. I loved her so much I wanted her to be mine. After a few months I had to discontinue my volunteer hours at the orphanage and I never saw her again. It hurt so bad to miss her and not be able to give her my love. But God promised to give me a baby to love.

Two years ago God fulfilled His promise and handed me a breath of eternity and entrusted me to care for her. 

She was freshly made, only 6 weeks old when we met.

I didn't love her instantly, because she wasn't mine, but every day my heart gave in and I slowly grew to love.

And now- she's my snuggle bunny, munchkin, punkin pie and I love her more and more every day.

I have been so incredibly blessed. God is awesome! 

My eyes are set on the greater things that are yet to come. It is the dawning of a new season. Places to go, people to pray for, needs to meet and always- more babies to love.

1 comment: